New Europe Market (NEM) is bringing some of the key players from the TV industry from USA, UK, Hungary, Belgium, The Czech Republic and Estonia to Zagreb
TV Writing Contest is a unique opportunity for talented screenwriters regardless of their experience
NEM Zagreb 2019, the winter edition of the renowned New Europe Market event, offers a unique opportunity for all TV creatives. Along with numerous panels, workshops and lectures, NEM is also organising a TV Writing Contest. Regardless of the level of screenwriting experience, this competition is an excellent opportunity to present one’s ideas to international names from the TV industry looking for new ideas in two categories:
- scripted (drama, thriller, crime, fantasy, SF, comedy)
- unscripted (game show, factual reality, reality, docuseries)
The independent expert jury panel is made up from professionals who work on screenplay development, are organizing script contests or workshops for screenwriters and are in touch with various TV projects daily.
- Farah Abushwesha (United Kingdom), Rocliffe represetative and producer nominated for the prestigious BAFTA award (The British Academy of Film and Television Arts) and founder of BAFTA’s New Writing Showcase and Competition. She has produced hits like “The ABC Murders” with John Malkovich and Rupert Grint, as well as Netflix’s “Irreplaceable You” with Christopher Walken. She is also the author of Amazon bestsellers “Rocliffe Notes – A Professional Approach for Screenwriters and Writer-Directors” and “Rocliffe Notes – A Guide to Low Budget Filmmaking: Taking Your Film from Script to Screen”.
- ScreenCraft (USA), a consulting agency that connects writers and filmmakers with renowned Hollywood production companies and studios like Netflix, CBS Studios International, NBC Universal, 20th Century Fox, Lionsgate, Paramount, Sony Pictures Television, Warner Bros., 3 Arts Entertainment, The Sundance Institute and many others.
- Joyrider (Hungary), a creative network of producers and writers involved in developing projects for numerous platforms. “Launching our scripted content company JOYRIDER into the international market, we are incredibly grateful that our region finally has an event like NEM Zagreb. We are looking forward to the opportunity to introduce our slate to potential partners, scout new projects and meet fresh talents.” said Gábor Krigler, the founder and executive creative of the Joyrider company, with many years of experience working at HBO Europe, which is now one of their main clients.
- Cineuropa.org (Belgium), the first European portal dedicated to cinema and the audio-visual arts in four languages. A special project on the portal is ScriptAnalysis, a programme that provides screenwriters with feedback on their idea and work provided by TV professionals. Domenico La Porta, the portal’s chief editor supports NEM’s initiative: “Cineuropa supports this initiative because we believe that every successful creative project starts with good writing. Writers must be encouraged financially but also critically by confronting them with experienced professionals who are in touch with the reality of the market.”
- Black Nights Film Festival (PÖFF) (Estonia), a five-day film festival which has over time become a central hub bringing together professionals from Asia and America, connecting them with key regional decision-makers. “We are really excited to be part of NEM Zagreb, eager to read interesting projects and attend all the panels and case studies. I look forward working with NEM platform as our Central European counterpart, share the know-how and experiences, and develop the collaboration between professionals.” stated Triin Tramberg, coordinator of international TV/drama series script competition Script Pool taking place at Industry@Tallinn & Baltic Event, a programme held during Tallinn Black Nights Film Festival
- MIDPOINT (The Czech Republic), a platform aimed at developing screenplays and projects, as well as bringing together industry professionals: screenwriters, directors and producers from the CEE region.
In the preselection round, the independent jury panel will select 30 screenplays from each category, and from these a selected 10 screenwriters will be given the opportunity for meeting top people from companies like BBC Studios, Beta Film, RAI, ZDF, CBS Studios International and Croatian Radio-television. The best three screenplays from both categories will be presented in the main conference hall to all participants of NEM Zagreb, which will also include representatives from the leading production companies listed above, and the best screenplay in each category will receive a prize in the amount of 5000 euros.
NEM Zagreb/Dubrovnik: A platform for concluding key deals
New Europe Market has been recognised for years as the central meeting spot for professionals from the audio-visual industry. Numerous deals have been made at the Dubrovnik event, and one of them popularised the Croatian series The Newspaper. The producers Nebojša Taraba and Miodrag Sila (Drugi plan) were able to establish cooperation with the Israeli production and distribution company Keshet, which bought global distribution rights. Soon after this, the series also appeared on Netflix as the first Croatian series on that platform. Another person making a dream deal was Lars Lundström, the producer of one of the most popular Scandinavian series Real Humans. It was at NEM that he met members of the top management of AMC International, which then bought the format and filmed the British version titled Humans.
NEM Zagreb, the first Zagreb edition of the New Europe Market event, will be held from the 11th to the 13th of December 2019 at the Esplanade Zagreb Hotel.